New silk fabric, woolen fabric, cotton fabric, buttons, lace trims, and more...each month brings new temptations!

Upcoming Events

The latest updates and gatherings involving the Britex Community. Stay up to date and make sure to mark your calendars.


Information and tutorials for folks interested in antique Italian lacework, nouveau fashion, sewing techniques and much much more!

Part 4: Transferring Beading Pattern to Fabric by Laura Mae

December 4, 2013 by Lilacs & Lace 0 comments

Our retro queen Guest Blogger Laura Mae of Lilacs & Lace has a fabulous project in store for us. There are so many details to this gala outfit that we have decided to break down the process into many fabulous technique-rich posts. Be sure to check out Part 1, which offers tons of pattern handling tips & tricks,  Part 2, an exceptionally thorough bound buttonhole tutorial and Part 3, a reinforced gusset tutorial.

[Britex has generously provided the fabric and sewing supplies for a dress I will be wearing to a formal event in October. I will be sharing some of the steps and construction techniques with you as I work on this project over the next couple of months.]



Embellishments can really add to a garment.  I knew from the beginning that I wanted to add beads to this particular outfit, and I assumed that I would be happy with a straight border.  But that looked horribly boring to me after perusing Pinterest for inspiration.




The first step was coming up with a motif that would work with the fabric and overall garment design.  I am always drawn to florals, but they did not seem quite right for this.  Using the damask scrolls on the fabric as a starting point, I sketched out a few ideas.


The issue of how to transfer the sketch to fabric was my first challenge (on top of that, a mirror image was needed for the opposite side).




And that was when I remembered my tracing paper.




After finalizing the design with paper and pencil, it was transferred to tracing paper, and then to a scrap of sheer muslin with a fabric pen.  But then what?




Since I was going to add a layer of silk organza to stabilize the extra weight created by all those beads, I decided to place the design directly onto the silk with a fabric pen.  Because it is so sheer, the image was easy to see.




Curves are a bit of a bother to transfer onto woven fabric because the pen is dragging through the bias.  To keep things from sliding around, I used quite a few pins!




After pinning the organza into place, I hand basted through all the layers (organza, hair canvas, & fabric) which allowed me to see the design from the right side without worrying that chalk or pen marks might not permanently disappear after the beading was finished.




I chose a thread color for basting that was visible, but not so jarring that I would have to remove every last bit of it.




When the lighting was not so great, I could turn the piece over to check for the original basted design lines.




But before beading the actual peplum, I tested the design out on a scrap of material.  If it turned out to be a big mess, I did not want to have a ton of pin pricks marring my peplum pieces.




Here is how one side of the peplum turned out.




The majority of this piece will be hand stitched together – for the upper edge I will be using a zipper foot to keep from upsetting the bead work when it is machine sewn to the bodice.