Art Deco Stretch Cotton Pants by Natasha

April 9, 2013 by Geana 1 comment(s)

Remember Natasha from Natty Jane Sews? She was the first blogger to contribute to a Britex project about a year ago with the cutest summer frock ever! Well, this gal is never without inspiration. Take a peek at what she's created with one of our soon-to-be-on-sale fabrics. Here she is with some awesome sewing tips, too...

Last summer I was super excited when Grainline Studio released the Maritime Shorts Pattern. I made the shorts soon after their release and the finished project was fantastic. With Grainline Studio patterns, you can always expect to learn something new, and with this pattern I learned how to insert a fly front zipper. The instructions were easy to follow and the fit of the shorts was just what I was looking for. Ever since, I've contemplated altering the pattern to make a pair of trousers.

I finally got around to turning my idea into a reality when I saw a charcoal grey art deco print stretch cotton on the Britex Fabrics website. Trousers with interesting prints have caught my eye lately, so this fabric seemed to be the perfect match for altering my favorite shorts pattern into a pair of pants.To make the pants, I purchased, downloaded, and assembled the Maritime Shorts Pattern from Grainline Studio. The process for altering the pattern was rather simple. I measured my inseam for pants and added length to the inseam of the shorts to match this. Then I added the same amount to the outside leg seam. I did this to both the front and the back pattern pieces in order to make a muslin. Once the muslin was sewn, I tried it on and used pins to make adjustments so that the pants fit the way that I wanted them to. In order to figure this out, I would suggest searching the web for tips on altering pants patterns to get the right fit. The only other alteration I made to the pattern was to change the front pockets. I decided to add a simple slant pocket to match the trouser look, however the original pockets would look great as well.

In sewing the final pair of pants, I decided to add a pop of color. I used this bright pink wool crepeto make piping for both the front and back pockets, as well as to make bias binding for the outside leg seams so that there would be a flash of color if the pant cuffs were folded up. Using pink wool added a wonderful color accent along with a new texture.I'm more than happy with this pair of pants. The fabric that I used makes all the difference. The print makes them stand out from the crowd, but the fact that the fabric is a stretch cotton makes these pants comfortable enough to wear anywhere.

Thanks, Natasha, for another expertly made and inspiring project!

1 Response to Art Deco Stretch Cotton Pants by Natasha

  • Amy says:

    These are gorgeous! What another great collaboration

    April 12, 2013 at 12:22 am